If you are HIPAA-regulated, it is not enough just to shred. You must shred in a documented and compliant manner!
- BAA’s provided for your practice. (If you don’t know what a BAA is, call us because Federal Law says you are required to have one!)
- Fully compliant Certificates of Destruction. From a Compliance standpoint, your HIPAA paperwork is just as important as the actual shredding.
- Legally it does not make a difference whether you shred on-site or off-site, or whether you hire a service or self-perform. However, the laws DO require very specific documentation and assurances of confidentiality. Most organizations who self-perform their own shredding have difficulty meeting these standards.
- Using a free “Community Shred” is not HIPAA compliant because there is no required documentation
- We understand the destruction requirements embedded in HIPAA and HITECH. Our service is 100% HIPAA Compliant!
- Would you like free compliant locking shredding containers for your office, free Staff training, and free HIPAA compliant Document Disposal Policy templates? Email Margaret to set up a completely free consultation with no obligation!
HIPAA requires you shred more than just these patient files!
If you don’t 100% understand what else you are required to destroy, that could be a very expensive fine! HIPAA recognizes 18 different types of patient identifiers which must be destroyed if recorded in any format (even a post-it note or phone message slip).